Howdy. We’re glad to meet you.
Andi is a Baltimore native (go Ravens!) who graduated from Towson University with a degree in Mass Communications. She’s a self-proclaimed “jill of all trades” who has spent most of her career working for start-ups. As such, she has done it all from sales, to marketing, to operations, and everything in between.
Over the past few years, she found her calling in community building. After recognizing this passion, she is excited to take this to the next level as a Membership Director for Board.org.
Andi, her husband, Jason, and their two cats recently moved to Austin after a six-year stay in Los Angeles. They just bought their first home and are excited to put down roots, eat all the tacos, and watch all the live music.
Quick facts about Andi:
- She’s been known to read an entire book in a single afternoon. If she could travel back to elementary school, she’d be guaranteed to win the summer scholastic reading challenge.
- She’s a self-proclaimed “river rat” who grew up on a river and moved to Austin specifically for the river. However, she can’t swim without plugging her nose, so she has learned to hold her nose with her lip.
- She is a Gilmore Girls super fan and will beat you in any Gilmore Girls trivia game.
As a Membership Director, Courtney loves connecting people to each other and to new ideas. She brings her passion for collaboration, knowledge-sharing, and creating unexpected synergies to the work that she does helping members to get the most value from their memberships.
Courtney comes to Board.org having recently completed her Ph.D. at the University of California, Riverside, where she also taught while completing her degree. Yes, she’s technically “Dr. Courtney” (but only her mom likes calling her that). Prior to UCR, Courtney worked in the nonprofit performing arts helping to connect donors to their passion-projects and advocating for arts-based education and community outreach. Before that, she helped run the sales and marketing programs for an information technology services and security firm. Each of these seemingly different paths provided an opportunity to pursue a similar mission: to make the world a little better place. That is work Courtney is eager to continue at Board.org.
Courtney, along with her husband, two children, and dog, are recent Austin transplants. They are most excited to explore the local food, music, and outdoor scenes. The family’s first favorite find has to be Sweet Eats Fruit Farm in Georgetown.
Quick facts about Courtney:
- She loves trying new recipes and is notorious for making yummy dishes that her family and friends never see again.
- She is a published cultural and literary scholar who still writes and researches on the side.
- She has had several near brushes with stardom that include a theatrical debut playing Scrooge in her elementary school’s holiday play and more recently, being on an HGTV show.
Born and raised around the Austin area, Justin is a native Austinite. After graduating from UT Austin (Hook ’em!) with a bachelor’s degree in Astronomy and a minor in Business, he has pursued areas of interest to him, including data, science, and tech. The experience of his courses in the STEM fields drove him to search for career opportunities centered around research, while the exposure to the business sector allowed him to have a perspective on how research and data are vital to the success of a company. He has held many different roles, all of which lead to the development of a wide array of competencies.
Justin currently lives in Cedar Park, where he enjoys the familiarity of Central Texas and the friendliness of the people that live there. He looks to make a positive impact in whatever way he can and strives to produce the best results for himself and in the workplace.
Quick facts about Justin:
- He is huge into sports and other activities — football and basketball especially (Longhorns, Ravens, and the Spurs).
- He wants to travel the world one day and see many different places and people.
- He is a giant gaming and science nerd.
Amy Rae was born and raised in the great state of New Jersey where she received a bachelor’s degree in Global Communications and Mass Media from Ramapo College of New Jersey.
In 2019, shortly after graduation, she relocated to Austin to work as a journalist covering local government, public education, and environmental news in Texas.
Quick facts about Amy Rae:
- Prior to attending college in New Jersey, she spent two years in Baton Rouge at Louisiana State University and is always eager to talk about LSU football.
- She owns a Siberian Husky named Juneau who loves the Texas heat.
- She collects vintage clothing and furniture and can often be found lurking through the racks of Goodwill or local estate sales.
Joelette was born and raised in South Texas. She moved a lot because she loves traveling to and trying new places. She spent 10 years in Buffalo, New York, but winters got to be too much, so she moved back to Texas.
Joelette worked at IDEA Public School for almost two years, but eventually she wanted to get back to sales and marketing (which is her first passion for a career).
Pre-pandemic, Joelette loved going to the movies and trying new restaurants. Currently, she’s an avid reader and TV binge-watcher. She also spends many hours talking to family over the phone and text.
Chelsea is an Account Executive at Board.org and is passionate about connecting leaders to make meaningful change.
Originally from Northport, New York, Chelsea went to the University of Georgia, where she received a bachelor’s degree in Political Science. After graduation, Chelsea moved to Washington, D.C. and started a career in sales.
Chelsea has experience with non-profits and philanthropic groups and wants to make as big as a difference as she can in the world through connecting leaders.
Quick facts about Chelsea:
- She grew up competitively sailing on the Long Island Sound from age six to 18.
- She’s the biggest UGA football fan. She graduated from there and loves to go back to Athens when she can. Go Dawgs!
- In her past time, Chelsea loves meeting new people and exploring new places.
Lily is originally from Boston but moved to Chicago to earn a degree in Communications at DePaul University. After spending a weekend in Austin, she signed a lease two days after she returned to Chicago.
She is a big New England Patriots fan, and you can find her cheering for all Boston sports teams, traveling, laughing with friends, and spending time with family.
Quick facts about Lily:
- In the 6th grade, she was the captain of her basketball team even though she was (and still is) under five feet tall.
- During her Junior year in college, she studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where she had a marketing internship.
- While in Argentina, she went paragliding off the Andes Mountains on a very windy day.
Sophia loves the outdoors and can be found swimming, hiking, running, and doing anything else she can find to stay active on her time off. She has recently taken up the fastest growing sport in Austin — pickleball!
Quick facts about Sophia:
- She loves yoga and has been practicing for nearly 10 years.
- Sophia was a competitive swimmer for more than six years.
- She grew up on a farm taking care of horses, chickens, dogs, cats, fish, and a number of other rescued animals over the years. Now she’s a cat mom to one amazing FeLV cat named Sugar who has albinism and heterochromia.
Carina moved from San Antonio (leaving behind the superior tacos) to Austin for live music and to grow in her career. TikTok introduced her to the world of digital marketing when she caved and downloaded it during quarantine in 2020. She’s now a Community Editor for Board.org.
Carina has a degree in psychology from UTSA and enjoys bringing that perspective into community building and writing. She’s a big advocate of chronic illness awareness, as she has one herself, and is proud to be part of a very caring, supportive community.
Quick facts about Carina:
- Spanish was her first language, and she learned English by watching TV. She’s been bilingual since the age of four.
- She can always find a reason to buy a new journal and has a whole drawer full of them (don’t ask how many). She currently rotates between five of them and aspires to write a book one day.
- She’s not a Disney adult, but has Disney-adult tendencies. She did the Disney College Program in 2017 and will talk about it with anyone who’ll listen.
Rachel comes to Board.org after more than 15 years in the nonprofit sector. A native Texan, but born with some inherent wanderlust, she’s worked in international affairs for much of her career and lived in Washington, D.C., and Dallas, Texas, prior to moving to Austin.
Her roles have included managing a major gift-in-kind program (collecting shoes!) to help vulnerable children, receiving international delegations on behalf of the City of Dallas, and planning State Department exchange programs for professionals.
Rachel graduated from Southwestern University in Georgetown, where she majored in both French and Political Science, and then went on to get an M.A. in Contemporary European Studies from the University of Bath in the UK. She is excited to be in Austin and explore the city — especially the hiking trails!
Quick facts about Rachel:
- She has traveled to six of the seven continents and is making plans to get a selfie with a penguin in Antarctica as soon as possible.
- She loves to bake and is confident that all her practice over the years is going to guarantee her a spot whenever they decide to do a U.S. version of The Great British Baking Show.
- She is a podcast fiend, especially if it involves some sort of cult or slow-burning political exposé.
Justin is a born-and-bred Texan originally from Houston where he studied Kinesiology/Sports Administration at the University of Houston (go Coogs!). With over 10 years of experience working in the Sports and Entertainment sectors, he’s assisted and led event and facility operations for various departments across the professional and collegiate levels.
After moving to Austin in 2015, he began working for University of Texas Athletics, where he spearheaded operations, servicing premium area patrons through high-level customer service and experience. Through his work off campus with local HR and community groups, Justin has worked with member-facing teams to help build DEI programming and produce community meetups and events. After a substantial career in sports, Justin comes to Board.org with a passion for building community and facilitating spaces for change.
Justin lives in East Austin with his wife Marika and their two dogs Macho and Lily. They spend most of their time traveling, reading, or catching up on their DVR.
Quick facts about Justin:
- He’s an avid sneakerhead, owning close to 100 pairs (maybe more).
- In 2020, he launched a local event brand called Third Coast Collective that’s geared towards building inclusive spaces for minority professionals through diverse events. Look out for the next “Frito Pie Social!”
- He once almost missed a trip to Bordeaux, because his dog ate his passport.
Jordona is a California native and new to Austin, TX. She joined Board.org after spending 13 years in the San Francisco Bay Area working in strategic communications and public relations, where she supported public transportation and healthcare organizations.
Driven by a personal mission to do good in the world, Jordona earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Journalism from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and a Master of Public Administration from the University of San Francisco.
Jordona, her husband, and their two young children are obsessed with Austin and love exploring its food, hiking trails, and live music.
Quick facts about Jordona:
- She is a certified yoga instructor.
- She has five brothers and, sadly, no sisters.
- She is an avid reader and especially enjoys sci-fi and fantasy. (She’s read all of The Expanse novels three times.)
Darrion is from Denver, Colorado, and has spent most of his life traveling. He has lived in Hawaii, Arizona, and the Netherlands where he was able to travel to seven other countries throughout Europe.
Darrion received his bachelor’s degree in Journalism and Mass Communications from Northern Arizona University, and he received his master’s degree in Business Journalism from Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism.
As a journalist, he has written and edited for several publications covering politics, news, sports, and culture. He has also dedicated a lot of his time to freelance writing, where he reported on health and nutrition.
Darrion moved to Austin in 2020 looking to expand his career in communications and experience the Texas lifestyle.
Quick facts about Darrion:
- He knows how to say thank you in 13 different languages.
- He is a coffee fanatic and wants to own a roastery one day.
- He wrote a short film that was nominated for a Rocky Mountain Emmy award.
As Managing Editor, Deborah oversees content production, policies, and operations. She also collaborates with other members of the team to develop content strategies that support the business as a whole.
Deborah grew up in San Antonio and moved to Austin for the live music and culture. She has a degree in communication studies from The University of Texas at Austin and got her start creating marketing materials for a leadership coaching firm. She lives with her partner, Brandon; their sassy chihuahua mix, Duckie; and their elderly tabby cat, Lexi. In her free time, she enjoys working on simple art projects and trying to grow anything that’s not a weed in her garden.
Quick facts about Deborah:
- She loves music and books, especially synthpop and historical fiction.
- She has a collection of hula hoops and some pretty sweet moves.
- Deborah likes to try new things and once took a flying trapeze class.
As Business Manager, Kevin helps our members and team by taking on special projects that make us better. Better at delivering services, better at how we operate, and better in how we organize and prepare. It’s a role with a lot of variety and an opportunity to touch every corner of the company.
Kevin’s experience suits him well for the role. He’s been a VP of Operations for four companies in three industries, including a five-year stint with Board.org. He’s helped companies grow from their first employee to more than 120. Along the way, he’s picked up knowledge in many areas but especially enjoys human resources where he received his SHRM-CP certification. His favorite part of all is getting to work with exceptional people and achieve great things with them.
Kevin is passionate about children in the foster care system. He’s served on the boards of directors of child-placing agencies in Austin and Houston. He feels that his greatest impact was helping kids individually in the three years as a court-appointed special advocate (CASA) for CASA of Travis County. Kevin and his wife, Jennifer, have two grown kids of their own who now live in Fort Worth.
Quick facts about Kevin:
- 10-year-old Kevin earned second place in a city-wide ping pong tournament. It was an achievement that spring boarded him to a high school tennis career.
- Kevin’s coworker once took pity on him after a motorcycle wreck left him with a broken leg. She gave him rides home from work so he wouldn’t have to walk the way on crutches. That was 1984, and they’ve been together ever since.
- Kevin’s favorite way to pass the time on weekends is with family and friends on the patios of Austin’s many craft breweries.
Whitney grew up in Austin, Texas. She graduated from Liberty University with a degree in Business Administration and Communications. She has a background in operations, technology, and research and is passionate about helping people do the best work they can, efficiently.
After her family spent four years living in Europe, she decided that Texas skies and BBQ were sorely missing from their lives, so they moved back to Austin in 2017. She loves spending sunny afternoons outside with her husband, daughter, and two Bernese Mountain Dogs.
Quick facts about Whitney:
- Her ‘5 to 9’ job is a singer/songwriter.
- In her free time, you will find her with a baby, guitar, or book on her lap.
- The most unexpectedly beautiful place she has ever seen is Lake Bled, Slovenia.
Sara spent the past four years in West Lafayette, Indiana, attending Purdue University. Shortly after graduating with a degree in Public Relations, her post-graduate job plans were put to a halt by a global pandemic.
She decided to take her job search out of the Hoosier state and into Austin, Texas, where she could find more sun, better coffee, and less corn fields. She ended up finding Board.org and now works as a Community Editor where she writes newsletters, member communications, blogs, and marketing content.
Quick facts about Sara:
- She was born on a Japanese island that is less than half the physical size of Austin.
- She has never met anyone who has correctly pronounced her last name right off the bat.
- She thinks the best fashion statement is a cool pair of pants.
Nina lived in Austin her whole life until attending Texas A&M University, where she got a Bachelor of Science in Telecommunication Media Studies. After living in rural College Station for four years, Nina decided to move back to Austin after graduation and couldn’t be happier to be back to city life. In her spare time, she enjoys going on the lake, yoga classes at Black Swan, camping with friends, and catching up on her favorite podcasts.
Quick facts about Nina:
- She loves cooking new recipes for friends (she asks them a million times if they actually like it, or if they are lying to be nice).
- She is particularly good at the song association game.
- She must have a lot of doppelgangers, because random people constantly stop her to tell her she looks like somebody they know.
After starting his career working various roles in the music industry, Aaron eventually developed an interest in conducting B2B research. Having had a lifelong interest in learning about new topics, he enjoys curating information that can grow organizations and help them make informed decisions. Aaron has done research work in a variety of industries from homeland security to finance.
A Michigan native, Aaron is a graduate of Western Michigan University where he received a B.B.A. in Management. After being away for a few years, he is excited to be returning to Austin and getting reacquainted with the city.
Quick facts about Aaron:
- He is an electronic music DJ and avid record collector.
- He recently developed an interest in hockey, and is planning on taking up the sport…as soon as he learns how to skate.
- He once simultaneously managed the official Willie Nelson, Matchbox 20, and Lil’ Wayne online fan clubs.
As Senior Community Manager for Board.org, Laura is focused on making people happy through systems and procedures that deliver the most joy. She loves crossing items of checklists, developing reports in Salesforce, and using excel to find shortcuts to maximize output.
Laura is a graduate of Purdue University where she studied Communications. After graduation, she started her career in sandwiches (because we all know that the quickest way to someone’s heart is through their belly) hoping to make the most people happy in short periods of time. After many years in the sandwich biz, she stumbled into Board.org by means of free sandwich tickets and a continued passion for taking care of people. Spreading happiness and creating positive ripple effects are what make her tick, so she felt she found her calling in the work at SocialMedia.org.
Quick facts about Laura:
- Laura loves picking up stray pennies and assigning their luck to other people.
- She has a regular yoga and kickboxing habit – it’s all about yin and yang.
- She’s recently discovered the music of Devendra Banhart and may have become an instant super fan.
As the VP of Organizational Development, Loraine works to continue building and optimizing the high-performing team at Board.org by developing systems and providing our team the knowledge & tools to support their professional learning & development.
Loraine grew up in Huntsville, Alabama and arrived in Austin in late 2004 after stops in Nashville, Charleston, SC, and Washington DC. During those stops, she majored in Political Science and Communication Studies at Vanderbilt, ran Customer Support and founded both Professional and Educational Services at Blackbaud, and worked as a Research Director at CEB (now Gartner). Upon moving to Austin, Loraine worked with GLG as the operational head of the Austin office, and then later served as the firm’s first Chief Compliance Officer and Global Head of Legal & Compliance Operations. Her most recent role was as Director of Operations for Red Velvet Events. She lives in south Austin with her partner, Josh, in a house that’s really owned by their two cats, Bailey and Patricia.
Quick facts about Loraine:
- Loraine has traveled to six continents and has flown around the world (really!) on three separate occasions. Favorite destinations for fun include the Tuscany region in Italy, the Stellenbosch region of South Africa, and the Burgundy region of France.
- She’s a Certified Wine Educator through the Society of Wine Educators, and passed the Level 1 exam with the Court of Master Sommeliers.
- Her job during summers and holidays in college was Camp Counselor at Space Camp & Academy in Huntsville, AL.
As a Community Editor for our Communications Team, Sam helps create the voices of our brands through newsletters, member communications, blogs, and marketing content.
Sam is originally from the great state of New Jersey and studied Communications at Ramapo College. After graduation, she worked in social media and consumer rewards marketing for four years before deciding to make a major life change. After a particularly harsh and seemingly never-ending East Coast winter, Sam packed up and moved to Austin, TX where the temperature rarely dips below 50°. She has never really cared for tacos but this city might just change her mind.
Quick facts about Sam:
- She was a varsity bowler in high school. There is no such thing as a “friendly game” when Sam’s involved. Luckily for everyone, she was forced to leave her custom bowling ball at home during her recent move.
- Despite her crippling fear of flying, Sam has traveled to 44 U.S. states and nine countries.
- At one point in her life, she could accurately identify any species of frog in the northeast just from the sound of its call.
As a Membership Director, Jeff helps our members get the most value out of their membership. He enjoys building relationships and making sure members are comfortable with sharing ideas, asking questions, and making connections with other members.
Jeff graduated from Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois, with a degree in journalism. He worked as a reporter for both a weekly and daily newspaper, and also wrote for an insurance trade magazine for Crain Communications. In other parts of his career, he handled auto claims for Progressive Insurance and worked in public relations, marketing, social media, and digital content at Zurich Insurance. In fact, he’s a former SocialMedia.org member!
Jeff grew up in the suburbs of Chicago but has moved as far north as Superior, Wisconsin, and as far south as Durham, North Carolina. Now, he lives in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood, a literal stone’s throw from Wrigley Field, with his lovely wife, Kristi, and their son, Declan. And yes, he’s a fan of the Bears, Blackhawks, Cubs, and Bulls.
Quick facts about Jeff:
- He met his wife, Kristi, at a Grizzly Bear concert at the Pitchfork Music Festival in Union Park and proposed to her on the very spot they met.
- Jeff played lacrosse at Western Illinois University.
- He also won a Virginia Press Association award for feature writing.
As the Technology Manager, Paul does his best to keep everything IT related running smoothly at Board.org. If it’s technology-related and broken, he’s the one to fix it. And if something needs improvement, Paul will get it done. He enjoys helping people and solving problems.
Paul came from a help desk background, working at a small business in Georgetown to support onsite IT issues for business and residential clients. He quickly advanced to a lead role and became the go-to guy for everyone in the shop. Paul’s happy to assist co-workers and clients alike, and enjoys working in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
Quick facts about Paul:
- At two years old, he stuck a fork in a 220V outlet and survived unscathed.
- He still hosts LAN parties, where his kids have mastered first-person shooter games.
- At home, Paul says he’s known as the “Troll” dad — he’s constantly messing with his four children and making them laugh.
Haley was born and raised in Houston and attended Texas A&M University where she received a Bachelor’s in Political Science. She finished her last semester abroad studying foreign affairs at Richmond University in London. She then moved to San Francisco to earn a Master’s in International Business with a Specialization in Sustainability while working for a non-profit on CSR efforts and editing for an international magazine.
After grad school, Haley moved to Austin to pursue a career in Business Development and Public-Sector Marketing. She currently lives in South Austin with some friends and a cat, Arya, who she is unfortunately allergic to. Haley enjoys trying new restaurants, being on the water and taking spontaneous weekend trips (near or far).
Quick facts about Haley:
- She can say anything backwards, including Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
- In high school, Haley raised a pig that bullied her.
- She’s visited 11 countries – and counting – and successfully missed 3 flights during those travels.
Andrew Dobbs (or just “Dobbs” to friends) is a native Texan originally from the Dallas area, who has lived in Austin for most of the last 17 years. He attended the University of Texas where he studied history and got involved in local, state, and national politics. He ultimately ended up with a career in environmental activism and public interest advocacy, learning about Board.org while he worked with our neighbors on the landfill that gives Trash Mountain Ranch its name. After getting to know some of our people he decided to pursue a career change to make a difference here.
He lives less than 15 minutes from the ranch now with his partner (and two cats) and spends as much time as possible obsessing over the Dallas Cowboys, re-watching The Sopranos, and reading.
Quick facts about Dobbs:
- Dobbs once spent months wandering the US on Greyhound buses and reading Tarot cards on the street for a living.
- He appeared on Jeopardy! in 2011… and lost badly.
- In 2014 he produced and co-hosted a live televised debate for Austin Mayor (and did much better than he did on Jeopardy!).
A true “Georgia Peach”, Erin is originally from Atlanta, GA! After graduating from Georgia College and State University, Erin’s career took her to Melbourne, Australia and eventually to Austin in 2014 for a positon working with universities in international education. With experience in recruitment, business development, and sales she continues to follow her passions as a Community Evangelist. She is proud to be part of a team striving to build long-term member relationships by providing extraordinary customer service through meaningful conversations.
She absolutely loves the warm weather and rivers that surround Austin! Spending most of her weekends with friends soaking up the sun during the day and dancing or singing karaoke by night. She is crafty and always has a project going – painting, bedazzling, knitting, or whatever new hobby she can learn! She plans to stay in Austin forever, watching one spring filled with Texas wildflowers after another!
Quick facts about Erin:
- She LOVES dancing – Salsa, Bachata, Swing, Polka, and of course the good ol’ Texas Two-step.
- She was captain of her university’s all red-headed flag football team.
- Over the last five years she has lived in two sheds, a garage, and spent five months traveling the western US in her Honda Element.
Leah grew up in the rural community of Argyle, TX and then attended the University of North Texas. She recently moved to the Austin area and has lived in West Lake Hills since last autumn. In her spare time, she enjoys gardening, organizing, traveling, hiking, kayaking, finding cool new restaurants to try, and spending time with her family and friends.
Quick facts about Leah:
- Leah loves the outdoors and is an avid snowboarder, beach lover, and regularly goes offshore/deep sea fishing trips with her family.
- She’s a crafty person and usually has a new DIY project that she’s working on, whether it’s redoing a piece of furniture or finding creative ways to repurpose and reuse old stuff.
- She has a large standard poodle named Kingston that goes everywhere with her.
Samantha is an Account Executive for Board.org and is passionate about connecting people with the resources needed to make meaningful changes at the world’s biggest companies.
After graduating from Texas A&M, Samantha launched her career in Business Development in Oklahoma. After realizing that there’s no place like Texas, her family moved to Austin where she began helping PR professionals quantify their work by educating on modern technology and techniques for branding.
Samantha serves with various non-profits across Austin, helping young women achieve personal goals and launch their professional careers. She resides in Northeast Austin with her husband and rambunctious pup, Indiana Bones, “Indie” for short.
Quick facts about Sami:
- She always has an itch to travel.
- Texas wine country is her favorite weekend retreat.
- Her idea of resting is staying busy and fills her free time with hobbies including sewing, running, reading, hiking, gardening and event planning.
Lindsay Ketchum came to Board.org after more than 12 years of public relations and communications experience.
Lindsay earned a Bachelor of Arts in Communications and a Master of Science in Organizational Leadership and Ethics from St. Edward’s University. She played on the women’s soccer team at St. Edward’s during her undergrad and served as a graduate assistant coach while getting her masters.
Lindsay lives in Austin with her husband and two kids. She volunteers with Early Matters Greater Austin (recently formed organization with the United Way for Greater Austin and E3 Alliance) to mobilize and unite the business community to help us assure every child in the Austin area enters kindergarten prepared for success.
Quick facts about Lindsay:
- She can execute a super loud two-finger whistle.
- In 2017, she and her firefighter husband started a successful dryer vent and dryer vacuuming company, Fireman Dryerman.
- She recently moved into the house directly next door to her old house.
As a Membership Director, Marcia helps to create an atmosphere in our community where great conversations happen, connections are made, and deep relationships are forged. Marcia works behind the scenes, helping members get the most out of their experience.
Marcia has had the great fortune of always doing work she believes in. Before coming to Board.org, she worked for two nonprofits dedicated to helping create an economy and government that works for everyone. She also spent two years as a Foreign Service Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Belize City, where she helped Americans get out of all kinds of binds.
Marcia lives in Austin with her husband, two kids, and a very slow-moving tortoise. She volunteers at Hospice Austin’s Christopher House and her children’s schools. An avid kayaker, Marcia loves being on Texas rivers and lakes, regardless of the temperature or the time of year.
Quick facts about Marcia:
- She helped evacuate Americans from Belize during Hurricane Mitch in 1998.
- She has listened to virtually every This American Life and The Moth Radio Hour podcast while working out.
- She is from a ridiculously large family and is the 7th of 8 children and the 38th of 44 first cousins, on her mother’s side.
Zach is a graduate of the University of Montana and holds a degree in Neuropsychology. He was an active member of the Deaf Community during college and enjoys signing with friends and colleagues. After leaving Montana he worked in the nonprofit sector in California, helping bring technology and people together within the California foster care system.
After Moving to Austin, Zach stepped into the member coordination field at a financial consulting firm and fell in love with community building and member driven organizations. He loves Austin and is developing an admiration for breakfast tacos and the Longhorns!
Quick facts about Zach:
- He is a registered Sommelier and has worked with multiple wineries across the country.
- He skied competitively for 15 years and is happiest in the mountains.
- He is an avid reader and is always looking for new books!
As a Membership Director, Sam has a pulse on the happenings of our member communities. Knowing our members and their programs so well, Sam is an expert on connecting members with other members that have similar programs and are facing similar challenges.
Sam’s originally from northern Louisiana. He wound up in Austin eleven years ago after falling in love with a native Austinite. (They do exist!) He worked for nine years as a pastor in East Austin before spending a few years in the construction industry. He spends his free time with his wife, two kids, and a Beagle named Willie.
Quick facts about Sam:
- Sam loves Texas barbecue. But he’s started avoiding it more recently because he’s worried his heart might explode.
- Sam’s favorite hobby is watching movies at the Alamo Drafthouse. If you don’t think that’s a real hobby like sports or building things, Sam says, “Shut up.”
- During college, Sam once won his entire dorm’s version of SURVIVOR. It was the TETRIS immunity challenge on NES where he really showed his skills and pulled away from the competition.
As an Account Executive for Board.org, Jackie recruits members for our unique communities that bring together executives leading meaningful change at the world’s biggest companies.
Jackie is a graduate of Texas A&M (whoop!) where she studied Psychology & Business. After graduation, she moved to Austin and started her career as a corporate recruiter. A few years later she joined a local staffing and recruiting firm and transitioned into business development. In that role, she built relationships with local businesses and helped them solve their staffing challenges. She was instrumental in growing the company, helping it triple in size, and led staff development and training for the team.
Jackie loves to spend time with friends and family, read, and be outdoors. She lives in Cedar Park with her husband, two adorable daughters, and two very large, very old dogs.
Quick facts about Jackie:
- Jackie is a Daughter of the Republic of Texas.
- Every time she steps into the sun she sneezes three times.
- Her dream is to own waterfront property in the Texas Hill Country.
Kat is a native Austinite (Science Academy @ LBJ High School, in case you are also local and wondering). After attending UT for undergrad she ventured into the midwest for graduate school at Washington University in St. Louis. With a Masters in Social Work, Kat moved back to Austin for good and began her career in the non-profit sector. She has spent the past 15 years in fundraising, leading development efforts at both the Center for Child Protection and more recently at the Austin Young Chamber.
Kat and her husband David live in the Dripping Springs area with their twin daughters, mastiff, and cat. From a creative standpoint, Kat’s favorite activities are gardening and cooking.
Quick facts about Kat:
- Kat’s parents were “fixer uppers” so as a child she moved around Austin a lot, changing schools multiple times. In 3rd grade, Kat went to Kirby Hall at the same time as Andy Roddick and they were almost boyfriend/girlfriend.
- Kat and David had chickens at their last house in North Central Austin (prior to moving to the ‘burbs).
- Kat loves checking out new bars and restaurants though admittedly after becoming a (twin) mom in 2018, she doesn’t get out so much these days.
As Marketing Director, Kristen supports the team by managing content and marketing initiatives for our blogs, newsletters, member communications, and public websites. She also manages our social media properties and is even known to break out her graphic design skills now and then.
Kristen is one of the few Chicago natives on the team and will openly brag about her city to anyone who will listen. She received a bachelor’s degree in Advertising and Design from DePaul University while interning for Board.org, and, because we all got along so well, she decided to stick around as a full-time part of our crew.
Quick facts about Kristen:
- She thrives on live music and attends, on average, at least three concerts a month.
- She owns 20+ wigs (because you never know when a costume opportunity will arise).
- She once got fourth place in a Ms. Pac Man arcade tournament.
Jordan was born and raised in McAllen, TX, and she moved to San Antonio, TX after graduating high school. She then earned her BA in Communication at the University of Texas at San Antonio. After graduating, she worked in the insurance industry for a while, but after four years in San Antonio, she and her husband wanted a change of scenery. They just recently moved to Austin, and cannot wait to see what type of adventures the city has in store for them. Jordan’s favorite things include eating, traveling, napping, and her beloved cat named Snart.
Quick facts about Jordan:
- Jordan finished both high school and college a year early.
- She has never been stung by a bee.
- Along with all 50 states, she wants to visit Australia and Canada in her lifetime.
As a Membership Director, Lauren helps to create opportunities for members to share insights, feel connected, and build relationships. She approaches all interactions with genuine empathy and works to create a space for comfortable, candid conversations.
Lauren has spent her career at the intersection of creativity and community. Her professional experience includes building a membership program at a new museum in San Antonio as well as directing the membership department at the oldest and largest national design association based in New York City. Through her work in nonprofit and association management, she has led member-facing teams, advocated for member needs, and strategized plans for community engagement.
Lauren attended The University of Texas at Austin where she earned undergraduate degrees in Art History and Italian. She received a graduate degree in International Arts Administration from St. John International University in Turin, Italy. She also earned a certificate in Business Perspectives for Creative Leaders from Yale School of Management.
Quick facts about Lauren:
- Lauren is a great listener, she gets told weekly by friends, family, and Lyft drivers that she should be a counselor.
- Her most recent obsession is boxing, and she’s training to level up at her women-only gym.
- She speaks Italian fluently, and shamelessly looks for any chance to use it—dai, parliamo!
As the leader of Board.org’s Membership Team, Ryan helps keep the community healthy for our members by leading our community experience. Ryan has a degree in marketing communications from Columbia College Chicago. He completed eight internships during his collegiate career, including his favorite at Board.org. After getting over his sports interest (five internships), he started his career here using his communication skills to find other talented social media leaders to join SocialMedia.org. He loves living in Austin and enjoys the local food trucks and sporting events.
Quick facts about Ryan:
- He went 3-0 in the Taco Bell Saucy Sprint mascot races at Minute Maid Park.
- Even though he’s now two inches taller than Ryan, he’ll always call his younger brother “smalls.”
- He volunteers weekly to jog dogs around Town Lake.
As an Platforms Director, Evette manages and optimizes all of the tech, tools, and toys we get to work with every day.
Evette got her bachelor’s degree in Business Administration at the University of the Philippines before packing her bags and moving halfway across the world for a master’s degree in Marketing Communications from the Illinois Institute of Technology. She joined Board.org as an intern and loved it so much, she never left.
Quick facts about Evette:
- One of her favorite things about living in Chicago is actually the weather.
- She enjoys going on road trips to watch hockey in all sorts of awesome cities.
- She once had a speaking part on a Broadway musical.
Kurt is the Membership Director for the Talent Marketing Board, where he uses his passion for connecting people and helping them learn from each other.
He’s had some practice at that, having spent eight years at Executive Director of SocialMedia.org, helping grow that community from infancy to several hundred member companies. In other roles, he’s worked in a communications role for America’s dairy farmers, and he spent more than a dozen years at WGN Radio in Chicago. Kurt’s a fiercely proud Green Bay Packers fan, but prouder still of his son and daughter.
Quick facts about Kurt:
- He’s seen Major League Baseball games in 45 different ballparks, from old Tiger Stadium to the Tokyo Dome.
- Kurt is a board member for Dyer Babe Ruth baseball, a non-profit league in his Indiana hometown.
- He’s a level 40 Pokémon Go player (yes, he still plays).
- He once organized a miniature golf pro-am, bringing together local celebrities to raise thousands of dollars for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Katrina is an original ‘weird’ Portlandian who arrived in Austin in 2018 after stays in Seattle and Madison. She has been fighting the good fight of process and structure at three diverse SaaS startups, where she was responsible for scaling business development, customer success initiatives and long-term support strategies. She has a special knack for tying systems together to maximize efficiencies and reduce redundant activities. Specifically, she has managed automations with Hubspot, Zendesk, Atlassian, and Monday.com to streamline customer billing, support and implementations.
Katrina has seen a diverse range of challenges throughout the last decade — from doubling product implementations to raising a $6M funding round to managing a $1B client relationship to a long-term partnership agreement. She sees each challenge as an opportunity for growth and loves sharing her experience with Board.org.
Quick facts about Katrina:
- Katrina is an avid horror movie enthusiast and has created a unique rating system that she will gladly explain at length if you let her.
- Her first job was at Krispy Kreme Donuts and it remains the most stressful job she’s ever had. The Sunday crowds are no joke!
- She has run in temperatures ranging 100 degrees in all of the places she has lived. Her love for running does not mean that she has enjoyed the single OR triple digit runs, however.
As VP of Communications, Cale leads the communications team in their mission to create great content, earn loyal fans, and have reasonably non-broken websites. He’s part copywriter, part editor, and part project manager.
Cale has a degree in journalism from Drake University and got his start covering sports for The Des Moines Register. Cale lives with his wife Caroline, son Emory, cat Bella, and dog Ollie. When he’s not working at Board.org, he’s probably planning his next national park adventure.
Quick facts about Cale:
- He owns a lot of flannel — not that there’s anything wrong with that.
- His hometown is smaller than yours.
- He once ate fried butter and lived to tell about it.
Will spent his childhood living in Ohio and Indiana, until joining the Navy in September 2001 and becoming a signals intelligence analyst. Despite spending four years in the Navy, he never saw a ship, and was stationed at the National Security Agency in Fort Meade, Maryland. He spent about 15 years in the US federal intelligence community, much of which came as a consultant at the Department of Homeland Security headquarters in Washington, DC.
In 2015, Will, his wife Sarah, and their two boys (Holden and Sebastian) relocated to Texas, where Will applied his research, analytic, and writing skills to the B2B conference industry. There he performed market research and analysis, developed content and conference agendas, recruited and coordinated with executive speakers, and managed events on-site.
He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Middle Eastern Studies from George Mason University in Virginia in 2013.
Quick facts about Will:
- Will was one of the sailors lining Independence Ave during Ronald Reagan’s state funeral.
- His karaoke performances of 90’s R&B hits are legendary.
- He loves sports, and is especially passionate about baseball and football, but is cursed by loving Ohio-based teams.
As the Creative Director, Peter supports the team by tackling all of the design challenges and odd jobs related to web and print design. His days consist of designing websites from scratch, development, print design, and generally keeping everything looking nice and tidy.
Peter has a degree in sociology from the University of Michigan. He got his first job in graphic design when he started designing and illustrating for the university’s engineering textbooks. He has since found that designing for Board.org is a lot more interesting than drawing pictures of circuit diagrams.
Quick facts about Peter:
- He owns a handful of vintage synthesizers and makes electronic music in his spare time.
- His favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger movie is Total Recall.
- He runs a record label with some friends called Ways Inner Pass.
As Controller of Board.org, Mark leads and manages the Finance function. Number crunching and spreadsheets are the way for Finance. Finance holds many hats and Mark isn’t afraid of getting into the thick of things.
He is a former Big Four auditor starting his career at PriceWaterhouse Coopers.
Quick facts about Mark:
- Mark grew up in South San Francisco, California and moved to Austin in 2005 after stops in Los Angeles and Phoenix.
- Mark has a degree in Accounting from the University of Southern California and is a licensed CPA in Texas.
- Mark loves living in Cedar Park and enjoys
going outdoors with his family.